Bodied by Park Ward to design number 701. Surely the most stylish closed bodywork on the S-series chassis.
One of 45 RHD cars with this body style. This car was built without the vestigial fins normally seen on this design which really cleans up the lines – normally only seen on dropheads. Also rare, it has the factory sunroof and was originally delivered with a manual gearbox.
Chassis delivered to Park Ward in September 1956. Finished car delivered via J.S. Inskip in New York in June 1957 to first owner Francis V. DuPont, part of the family of industrialists and who had recently retired from a high ranking job in Eisenhower’s government. At some point the car was converted to Automatic transmission – a job commonly carried out by Inskip’s. Subsequent owners included Franklin S. Davis ( leader of the New England Rolls Royce Club ) and Joseph C. Clowers, both of Maryland ( as was DuPont), and Bud Dillon of New York by 1977. The last owner, in California, purchased the car in 1986 and it spent the next 30 years on the West Coast before coming to the UK where it has been re-trimmed and had the wood re-finished. The engine and running gear were thoroughly checked over and the chassis is in remarkably good, straight and corrosion free condition.